Education for Nature Vietnam (ENV) is a non-governmental organization focused on wildlife conservation. ENV protects endangered species from extinction by working to end the illegal wildlife trade threatening thousands of animals in Vietnam and worldwide.
In the wake of the sixth mass extinction, Education for Nature Vietnam is taking action against extinction and fighting for the preservation of biodiversity. We do this through an effective approach consisting of three elements:
1. Reduce consumer demand for wildlife and wildlife products in Vietnam
2. Strengthen Vietnamese law enforcement to better respond to wildlife crime
3. Work with lawmakers, prosecutors and judges to update legislation regarding wildlife in Vietnam and ensure wildlife criminals face the full extent of the law
Why is our mission important?
Our planet is facing the sixth mass extinction: the worst epidemic of species reduction since the dinosaurs were wiped out 65 million years ago. Scientists have calculated that animal and plant species today are dying 1,000 times faster than what is natural, and that within the century, this will likely escalate to 10,000 times faster. As a result, our rapidly dying planet is losing the only thing that can save life on earth, the environment.
To save the environment and humanity, we need to protect wild species and their habitats from going extinct. We need wildlife conservation.
Vietnam has been rated the 16th most biologically diverse country in the world by the World Conservation Monitoring Center. With 276 species of mammals, 828 species of birds, 180 species of reptiles, 80 species of amphibians, 472 species of freshwater fish, and thousands of invertebrate species identified, Vietnam is home to an abundance of endemic animals which hold considerable scientific and biological significance.
But it’s not just Vietnam’s wildlife we protect. Wildlife from all over the world are being caught and smuggled to Vietnam, with prevalent consumer demand here and across the boarder in China, the largest consumer demand for wildlife. Vietnam’s strategic position prompts the illegal smuggling of thousands of endangered animals into this country each year.
ENV tackles this demand by operating our proven three-tier strategy:
1. Strengthening law enforcement to act on wildlife crime, confiscating wildlife and arresting wildlife criminals
2. Collaborating with Vietnamese government officials to implement more effective laws, ensuring no one gets away with wildlife crime
3. Operating national campaigns on TV, radio, social media, schools, outposts, and public engagements, empowering the public to fight illegal trade of wildlife and their products
JOIN US AND HELP US BY DONATION
Help us Succeed!
As a local non-profit organization in Vietnam, ENV is actively working to address the illegal consumption and trade of wildlife through unique and creative approaches that have a meaningful impact upon wildlife protection. Your support is crucial to our efforts and will help us continue our work and make a difference.